Friday, February 17, 2006

We need a better prison

So, J was having a nap. I was downstairs. I'd just put in a load of diapers, and I was having some lunch. And that was when I heard it. A noise from upstairs. A rhythmic thumping noise. Very loud.

I figured it was J, awake and playing, perhaps kicking his activity centre. But the noise was accompanied by a fair bit of vibration, and it sounded louder than usual to me. The cat even started. So I decided I'd best go and investigate.

I went upstairs. I looked in the bedroom. And there was J. Kneeling in his crib, next to his Whoozit. He was holding the slats of the drop side of the crib. He had pushed it to the side and, by so doing, he had knocked the bottom rung of the drop side off its track. The side of the crib was starting to come down. And he was pushing on it for all he was worth, obviously enjoying the fact that he could make his crib move.

I fixed it. But we obviously need a better prison for the baby. And it is clearly time to drop the crib to its lowest position. When J sits up or kneels, his head is right in line with the top of the sides of the crib; this cannot wait any longer. We'll have to do it this weekend.

But that means moving J into his own room, since that was the deal H & I made with each other. And I don't want to do it. I've really enjoyed having him in our room. I'll be an emotional wreck when we move him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have finally moved Gemma into Izzy's room, and she's a year older than Jared. I think we moved Izzy into her own room when she turned one. You have to do what seems best to you at the time.

But keep in mind that if he still wakes up in the night, it is you that will have to haul your sleepy ass down the hall to a different room. I say whoever gets up with the baby in the night should be the one with the final say in where the baby sleeps.

Our babies are growing up. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes "deals" need to be flexable, especially ones made in advance because your feelings, knowledge, and experience may change.

Or they may not. I won't pretend to read your mind. There's been too much of that going on already.

That was a joke BTW. Ha-ha. Laughter. I refuse to give up making jokes to you on your own blog. Anonymous posters can kiss my a__.

Draya's Mom said...

Meh, we lowered Draya's crib quite a while ago and she's still in our room. We'll move her once she's sleeping through the night 95% of the time. Or when-ever we're good and ready to. If you still WANT J in your room then keep him there. What will it matter in 2, 8, 12 or 17 years? They're only this small for a little while.

Momma Trish said...

Thanks guys! We needed that.

J will stay in our room for the time being. I'll have to be away from him soon enough; no point in rushing it.

I like having him nearby.