Monday, February 13, 2006

How to study

A girl in Nova Scotia is taking level 1 of the program, and feeling discouraged. She posted about it in the student lounge. Seems she failed Financial Accounting 1 last term, and she's afraid she's going to fail Economics in this semester. She's thinking about dropping out of the program entirely.

I emailed her, and I told her that it's probably a bit early to make such a drastic decision. I suggested that she might just need some help with establishing good study habits, and I asked her if there was anything I might do to help. She asked me if I could fill her in on how I study and prepare for the exams. So I wrote a return email on the subject. But it was too long to go through the very limited email messaging system used on EdNet; I had to put it into a document and attach it to the email.

After I'd emailed it, I looked at the document. And it was then that I realized that I had typed up a 3-page Word document on studying techniques. (It's official. I am a nerd.) Gee. I wonder if she might find that a little daunting. I hope not. And I hope she can follow some of the direction and carry on in the program. The courses are kind of expensive, and failing one is really hard to take.

No comments: