Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Must ... exercise ... restraint

I want to help one of the students in the Law class. I know the answer to his question. The tutor isn't explaining it to him in a way that he understands. I would like to send him a private message and try to explain the concept in a different way. A simpler way. A way that he might understand.

I was exempted from the Law class, because I already took its equivalent and then some when I got my legal assistant diploma. I aced it, and I've worked with this concept frequently ever since. I know that I could explain it to this guy. But I don't want to offend the student or the tutor by butting in. After all, it is not my course.

I just feel bad for the poor guy! It's a difficult question about a difficult concept, and I don't blame him for being confused. And after all, he's studying to become an accountant, not a lawyer; when will he need to know who has first priority under a security agreement anyway? If a client asked him, his answer should actually be "Go see a lawyer". It's not his area of expertise. He's an accountant.

I always want to help those in need. But sometimes, I need to mind my own business and just butt out. I will try.

But it's hard!

1 comment:

Momma Trish said...

My sympathies got the best of me. I sent him a private message. He was appreciative.

It's nice to be appreciated!