Thursday, March 30, 2006


Yesterday, J didn't really nap. He got up at 6:00, went down for a brief sleep mid-morning, and then got back up again really hyper. He sampled graham crackers and milk for snack-time, and he kept down the veggie-chicken-noodle casserole I gave him for lunch. He fell over a few times, and gave himself something of a shiner. With considerable effort, I did not panic and rush to his side, and he continued playing as though nothing had even happened.

Whoever coined the phrase "slept like a baby" never had one.

Yesterday, J discovered how wonderful balls are. Soft, squishy, vinyl covered miniature versions of soccer balls, footballs, baseballs, and basketballs. We got them in a goodie-bag at a birthday party J attended on the weekend. He loves them. (Thank you, P&K.) He enjoys chewing them, and he carries them about with him wherever he goes. If it is round-ish, J will love it. Especially if it is also soft and squishy. Yesterday, H asked why my Dogbert stress ball was on the floor of the office. Simply enough, J had discovered it, and that's where he left it when he was done.

Yesterday, J and I developed a new game. He would climb out of my lap and crawl away as fast as he could go, and I would wait a few seconds, and then reach out and unceremoniously grab him back and tickle his tummy. He giggled, and then repeated his action.

Yesterday, J realized that Mommy's slippers make wonderful toys. At one point, he stood unsupported for a considerable length of time, standing sort of spread eagle, arms raised triumphantly over his head, holding one of my big blue slippers in one of his little hands.

Yesterday, J tormented the cats. He ripped a rather large clump of fur out of Jazz's side, and then started trying to pull Jive's feet. I tried to stop him, but sometimes I just wasn't fast enough. Jive retaliated at one point, with a swat to the top of J's head. He didn't hurt J, who was reprimanded for hurting the cat, and that's when the cat decided that this meant he could defend himself by attacking the baby. I had to separate them for a period of time until Jive had calmed back down.

Yesterday, J went to bed pretty early. He was enticed to do so by a car ride. Chasing J around had left me drained, and I didn't know what else to do. I went to bed early too. I had a headache. I feel better now.

Yesterday, I did no homework and no housework. There just wasn't time. I feel panicked about it. The house is a shambles, and my homework is behind. But I'll catch up over time. And hopefully J will nap today and give me an opportunity.

J has 4 teeth now, and is working on 2 more. He can crawl about, stand unsupported for short periods of time, and walk quite well hanging on to the furniture. He loves toys that he can hold with one hand and toys that make noise. He loves his Rollarounds Dinosaur, and often tries to push it up to the DVD rack so that he can reach for "When Harry Met Sally". Sometimes, he pushes a little too hard and the dinosaur falls into the DVD rack, taking him with it. He doesn't care. He is a tough little kid.

J has nearly weaned himself to homo milk, and only wants breastmilk in the mornings now. His mornings are starting earlier and earlier. But he usually sleeps well through the night, although last night he was up a couple of times. He still can't tolerate a great deal of meat, but we are working on it. He still wants pureed foods, and will only eat jarred baby food. The exception is grains; he will eat bread, crackers, Cheerios ... really anything bread related is good. He's still taking his iron drops to deal with his refusal or inability to eat meats, and he seems happy. I think he's growing well again, but I'm having him weighed today just to see where he's at.

J is almost one year old now. I can't believe it. It just doesn't seem possible.

But it is.

J is my pride and joy. I love him more than I even thought was possible. The thought that anyone would feel differently is completely foreign to me.

It just doesn't seem possible.

No comments: