Saturday, March 25, 2006

Now say that with a Scottish accent

"As silicon transistors grow smaller - there will be a billion on a single chip by 2008 - power dissipation becomes nearly impossible to control, and even cosmic rays can cause random processing errors".

Beam me up.

Seriously, though. It's an accounting designation. Why will I need to know how many bits are in a byte, or which superconductive metals are being considered as a replacement for the silicon medium in order to reduce resistance and speed processing? It's a little bit too technical, and I simply do not care. Why would I? It's not as though I am studying to build hardware components! What do I care what chips are made from? They could make 'em out of chocolate for all I care!

Mmmmm ... chocolate chips ...

No comments: