Saturday, April 22, 2006

My biggest pet peeve is "Stupid"

Everywhere I look,
And everywhere I go,
I am forced to ask the question
Why?
Why?

Why are you such a freakin' idiot?

**********

I'd like to leave it as a cryptic entry, but I just can't. Experience has demonstrated that cryptic entries open to interpretation are sometimes interpreted as offensive by some of my readership. Rest assured, I don't think you are all freakin' idiots. I mean no harm.

Read on, Macduff!

**********

Now, of course I'm not saying that everyone is a freakin' idiot. But sweet lord, there sure are a lot of them out there, aren't there?

If you read on, you'll see that I am right.

**********

A professed alcoholic with 5 previous DUIs is charged. Again. This time, he was driving a stolen vehicle. Drunk. (I know, I know; as if there were any doubt. But it needed to be said.)

So anyway, the details of the charges go like this. While drunkenly operating the vehicle he stole while his license is suspended, and fleeing from the police who are pursuing him in a high-speed chase, he crashes through the side of a house and pins a 17-year old kid underneath said stolen vehicle. Yes sirree. There she is, just hangin' out in her bedroom, doing typical teen stuff, when suddenly, she's forced to try to avoid being mowed down by the truck that has unexpectedly crashed through her wall. Coulda killed her. But thankfully, she survived.

And what sort of penalty does a man like this get? What does our justice system deem to be a fitting punishment for such a series of crimes?

As part of his sentence, he will not be permitted to drive for 7 years.

"BUT HE WAS DRIVING WITH A SUSPENDED LICENSE WHEN THE CRIME WAS COMMITTED", screams my poor, aching brain. And I wonder how this rather important fact escaped the attention of the judge.

**********

That's okay. I'm sure he'll comply with the terms of his conviction this time around. I'll just be over here, banging my head against this wall.

Don't mind me. I'll be just fine.

**********

In related news, the four teenagers with the prior criminal records who beat a man to death on a city bus near Millwoods Town Centre have been released on their own recognizance provided they comply with certain bail conditions. Among said conditions is a stipulation that they are not permitted to ride public transit.

That's a good stipulation. In theory.

Of course, with our Young Offenders' Act firmly in place, the identity of the teenagers cannot be released to the public. No one knows who they are. No pictures of them can be published. So, just out of curiosity, how will anyone know if they are violating their bail conditions and getting on the bus? It's not as though the bus drivers can keep an eye out for them, since the drivers aren't permitted to know their identity. How the devil would anyone ever know?

Or should we just prohibit everyone under the age of 18 from riding the bus, just in case it's one of them?

**********

Seriously! Is someone going to be appointed by the courts to follow these known felons around to make sure they comply with their bail conditions and sentences? Yeah, right. I don't think so. So we'll just all assume that they're doing what they're supposed to be doing; there's a good convict.

**********

So once again, I ask: Why?

**********

And that, as much as anything, is why I am now camped out on the roof of Millwoods Town Centre with my high-powered sniper rifle.

Don't mind me. I'll be just fine.

**********

Edited to add: Well, this post was pretty timely, really. Some freakin' idiot just broke up with one of my friends. One of the most gorgeous, talented, smart, and truly awesome women I have ever met. And this guy just steps up and breaks her heart. He was so lucky to have her, and I can't believe anyone could be so stupid.

Hey, you. Dude. How do you not fall down more?

Freakin' idiot.

No comments: