Saturday, November 26, 2005

You make me feel like ranting

I'm sick. Really sick. Preparing for an exam and feeling stressed. Really stressed. J was grumpy yesterday. Really grumpy.

So when H's friend called and wanted H to meet him for coffee last night, I would have liked it very much if H had said that it wasn't a good night; that his wife was sick and studying for an exam and he was needed at home. But he didn't. And when a time was suggested, I would have liked it very much if that time hadn't been during J's typical naptime, so that J could go with them. But it was, so he couldn't. So H went without J (forgetting to take the cell phone, so I couldn't reach him if I needed to), and left me to deal with J, study for my exam, and just generally be sick.

J woke up roughly half an hour after H left. I changed him (twice), fed him, gave him some extra cereal and green beans since he seemed particularly hungry, bathed him, got him all ready for bed, and then heard H enter the house.

H walked through the door, forgetting to bring the frozen beverage I had asked him to pick up to take down the swelling in my throat. He quickly ran back out to get it (without being asked; score 1 for H). When he returned, I was in the living room snuggling with a very awake J, with all my study materials splayed out in front of me. I asked H to please take care of J while I put the diapers in to be washed and did some more studying. H waited on this for a bit; first, he pilled the cat (which was necessary and didn't take a lot of time) and then he took J, and I put the diapers in the wash.

I came back upstairs and asked H to put J to bed when he was ready, put the diapers in the dryer and put them away when they were done, and to wash out J's dishes for me for the morning. (Ordinarily, we share these types of chores, but I was studying for my exam and I am sick, and H had just had an evening out, and it was only 9:00-ish, so I thought this was a reasonable request. Sticking the diapers in the dryer and washing a bowl, spoon and cup are hardly time-consuming tasks, really.)

So what happened? H put J to bed, fed the cats, then fell asleep on the couch. Did I notice? No. I was studying, and having problems with one particular statement that was taking all of my attention.

I woke H up at around 11:30, stating that it was probably time for bed. H agreed, and started to go upstairs. I asked him if he had put the diapers in the dryer. He had forgotten to do so, but went down to do it before bed (note: this time, he did not ask me to do it instead; score 2 for H). We then went to bed.

This morning I awoke, after a restless night of coughing and hacking, to discover that I had roughly one-third of my voice left and that this rather vicious cold appears to be turning into bronchitis (never mind how I know; that would fall under the head of "TMI"). H got up, pilled and fed the cats, had a bath, changed J and brought him to me for food. All pretty normal.

Then, since H had some extra time before he had to start getting ready for work, he sat down to play some computer solitaire. I cuddled with J to get him happy enough for playtime in the crib and then put him back in his crib to play; then I had a shower. When I got out, H was leaving for work. He headed off, and I got ready to face the day.

Now, how many clean diapers were in J's room at this point? One. Where were the others? Still in the dryer. Where were J's dishes? Dirty, in the sink. When I am so sick and busy these days, why didn't H attend to those chores this morning instead of playing computer solitaire? Well, he forgot. Odd, isn't it, since he changed J this morning and saw how low the diaper cache was at that time, but whatever.

I love my husband. He is usually a very supportive and giving person. I remind myself that everyone has their off moments. This was one of H's, I think. And perhaps I am being unreasonable in any event. Small stuff drives me crazy when I'm under the weather, and my perceptions become skewed as a result. I'll get over it. I'm sure I will.

Or I'll kick his butt just as soon as I feel better. Either way, really.

End of unreasonable rant.

So ... I have laryngitis. If you call and I don't answer the phone, you will understand. J and I are missing swimming this morning; this seems advisable. I have an appointment with the doctor this morning to get this stupid cold checked out, so that will be good. And then, more studying. Yippee.

J played happily in his crib while I did a few household chores. When I returned to check on him, this is what I found:


I got him untangled and back in the proper spot at the bottom of his crib. When I went back in a few moments later, I found him once more at the top of his crib, this time with the racoon blanket pulled completely over his face.

He dearly loves playtime!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son has got to be one of the cutest babies I have ever seen!

I hope you feel better soon.

xo
g.

Momma Trish said...

Thank you. That's sweet.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least he's happy :)

Anonymous said...

J is the cutest baby in the whole world. Glad he's playing happily.