Monday, November 21, 2005

Havin' yer cake

Have you ever noticed that song titles can be altered in a variety of ways? For example, all song titles can make excellent use of the word "Cake". Think how much better it would have been if Bon Jovi had chosen to write about "Livin' On A Cake". Or if the Beatles had been really hungry and had written about living in a "Yellow Cake".

Imagine the fun that would ensue when one listened to Madonna's "Cake A Virgin", a song about a new carnival game where you pay money to throw cake at anyone who dares to wear white.

It even works with classical music, such as "Cake on a G-String", and good old '80s tunes, like Poison's "Talk Dirty to Cake" ("Oooooh, Cake, go put on your G-String").

One of my personal favorites: Journey's "Cake Arms". T advised that this sounded like a potential sequel to "Edward Scissorhands": "Ben Cake Arms". This film would, of course, contain the requisite angry mob scene, where the villagers try to run Ben out of town, brandishing dessert forks and birthday candles. Picture poor Ben, up in his castle, baking coffee cakes in the shape of his lost love's face. ("And I know that he's there", she tells her grandchildren years later, "because of the flour that falls from the sky. It never 'floured' here before, and I think that if he were gone, it wouldn't 'flour' today.")

Okay, now that's just creepy, but you get my point.

So what I'm asking is: what song titles can you come up with that use "Cake" to great purposes? ("The Sultans of Cake", "Money For Cake", "Romeo and Cake"). Post a comment with your song title suggestions.

I am sure some band will make good use of these. (Perhaps "Cake".)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well there's always the other Madonna hit "Like a Cake" and the Don McLean classic "American Cake"
Phil Collins sings "A Groovy Kind of Cake" and "Against All Cake".
A hungry Dianna Ross belts it out in "Ain't No Cske High Enough".

On the musical thhatre scene three of my very favourites are "Phantom Of The Cake" (he wears a mask of white icing), "The Cake of LaMancha" (an old man goes on a quest for the perfect cake) and "The Secret Cake" (a beautiful cake inspires a hunchback boy to walk)

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to go with Milli Vanilli's "Blame It On The Cake"

Momma Trish said...

Don McLean had another hit, you know: "Cake Pie". And refresh my memory here; who did "While My Cake Gently Weeps" again?

Anonymous said...

the best song about Cake ever, but without Cake in the title is MacArthur Park! Nezbitt knows what I'm sayin'. ;)

Nezbitt said...

I think it makes no difference at all and he should have just called it "McArthur Cake."

A new classical favorite "Canon in Cake" (Good, but messy)

The great dance hit "Cakestorm"

Salt n' Pepa's "Let's talk about Cake" (I like mine with sweet green icing *winks at Shiny*

Celine Dion's "My Cake Will Go On" & Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love Cake."

Also, "Standing Outside the Cake"

I need to stop now before I giggle myself into death.