Thursday, November 17, 2005

Marketability

Questions have been posed of late, and I am being all reflective tonight. Why is it that our society appears to value business over art? Why is it that I make more working in an office than I ever did as a pianist? Why is it that a musician in Carnegie Hall is paid more and treated better than a busker on the corner?

The simple answer to this appears to be "marketability". Art is a wonderful thing, but unless the product is marketed (and marketable), the artist's work does not have a monetary value. I make more in an office because I am a better typist than pianist; therefore, my marketability is greater in this type of environment. The musician in Carnegie Hall has a following, an audience who has already paid in advance to come out and hear the music; the busker is still trying to attract that audience, and therefore is not as marketable at that moment in time.

I could have continued to pursue my art, trying to make a living playing my piano. But I am simply not the best pianist in town, and in order to make a living, a pianist has to be the best. Competition is fierce, and audiences are picky about what they wish to listen to. Also, our society is based on need. More folks need services like law and accounting than art (which is generally more of a want), and so the business sector has a larger target audience than does, for example, music. It is only natural in our needs-based society that I would be more marketable in a business-related capacity. I'm not particularly marketable as a musician. C'est la vie. I do very well in other capacities, and I have learned to make my peace with it.

So ... does the busker on the corner deserve to be ridiculed by a passer-by? No. Even if the passer-by is a businessman, and is therefore more marketable in our society than the busker? No. Is that passer-by a member of the busker's audience? Not unless he stops to listen. Is that passer-by a member of the busker's target audience? Yes. What is the busker's goal? To make money. How does the busker make money?

Marketability.

Draw the crowd. Get a following. Enhance your marketability. Then you can curse and scream, bite the heads off bats, or whatever other fool thing you like. The goal is to make the money. You can't do that if your target audience is unwilling to pay you for whatever reason. Convince them of your worth. It's part of the job.

Now, ask yourself this: Is it a job if no one is willing to pay you to do it? Maybe. But it's a pretty poor job when you work for free. Can I walk into an office, start typing, and then demand money? No, I can't. Someone has to hire me first. Likewise, artists have to have an audience who is willing to pay for the service they provide. I truly see no significant difference between these scenarios.

Busking is a pretty complex profession. There is a lot more to it than just being able to perform. There is even more to it than being able to perform well. A busker has to entertain, draw a crowd, keep the crowd, and get the crowd to pay. A busker also has to deal with rude people who misbehave at a performance; not that this is acceptable, but rude people exist on the street just as they do in the office, and they have to be handled in both environments. Busking is not an easy job. It's a very tough job, really. Few are skilled enough at all these aspects to make a living. For those that do, I hold you in highest regard; I cannot do what you do, and your skill set amazes me.

I love watching artists perform. And when audience members misbehave, I love watching them be put in their place by the artists.

Here is a memorable moment: A play is ongoing; a gentleman in the audience has left his cell phone on. The phone rings. He answers it, and begins a conversation with the caller. The play continues.

Actress: But why did you kill her?
Actor: [pointing at guy on cell phone] I will tell you, just as soon as that man finishes his conversation!
[Guy on cell phone leaves in a huff. Play resumes.]
Actress: But why did you kill her?
Actor: She just wouldn't stop talking!!

That kind of thing is wonderful! An artist using his or her imagination to put a rude person who is misbehaving in his or her place. The artist has been witty, has entertained the audience while still putting the half-wit in his place, and has gained the audience's respect and admiration. Increased marketability results. Everyone is happy - well, except for the guy on his cell phone, but what do you expect (doofus)?

So, for the future, when you are out busking, and some idiot walks by and tells you to get a real job, don't go all crazy-snaky-postal on him. Just tell him you have an interview later that afternoon. For his job; you understand his boss thinks he's kind of a jerk (can't imagine why). It's a good approach. Much better than resorting to name-calling or threats. People will laugh. The idiot's friends will give you money. And they'll remember you the next time they see you out by their building.

Marketability, my friends. Marketability.

No comments: