Thursday, December 01, 2005

Free Vote Here

Well, we're off to a running start with a non-confidence vote. Because, as we all know, Stephen Harper has a major yen for the position of PM. "I wanna be PM, so if I don't get into office, I'm gonna pout and force the issue", says Mr. Harper. Okay, maybe he doesn't use those exact words, but that's the gist. (Sounds a bit similar to "You won't have little Richie Nixon to kick around any more", doesn't it?)

Harper is already talking about conducting a free-vote on gay marriage once his party gets into power. He appears to have no other plans for running the country, but let's make darned good and sure that "those" people are kept in their place. Put the government where it belongs: in the bedrooms of the citizens. Right? Consenting adults; bah!

Now, let's completely ignore the fact that our country has a Charter of Rights and Freedoms which guarantees the same rights to all persons regardless of, among other things, sex. And let's completely ignore the decision of the Courts on that point, which found the previous legislation on the subject to be flawed and discriminatory. After all, "those" people don't deserve equality, do they? Oh no. If you are different from Stephen Harper in any way, shape or form, you should receive lesser treatment in this great country of ours, despite what our Charter dictates. Ignore the rights and freedoms afforded to all in our country; ignore the fact that those rights and freedoms are what makes this country the wonderful place that it is. In fact, why don't we just return to biblical times and make a practice out of stoning those who don't toe the line and conform to the whims of the majority? Hmmm?

Of course, everyone should be able to run around sporting unregistered firearms. Hillbilly Jethro likes his gun, after all. Question though: What if Hillbilly Jethro is gay? Does he get his gun, Mr. Harper, or are you going to take it away? Different freedoms for "those" people and all, remember? Apparently, they should just take it on the chin, shut-up, and consider themselves very lucky that you don't run right up to them on the street and shoot them with your unregistered firearm. Right?

Different rights for different citizens sounds like a good idea to the current leader of the Conservatives, does it? Ah well. I suppose I can get on board with that. Sure thing. Okay. But I think we should look at it from my angle, and just mistreat all who are different from me.

And so...

I have decided that Stephen Harper is different from me. Insofar as I can tell, Stephen Harper is a redneck homophobic SOB dictator-wanna-be. Heck! He's a politician, and that alone should be enough to distinguish him from me. But add the other personality issues, and we get a person who is very much unlike me in virtually every respect.

In light of the fact that Mr. Harper proposes different rights and freedoms for those who are "different", and in light of the fact that I consider Mr. Harper to be "different", I would like to conduct a free vote. I do not believe that the same Charter freedoms afforded to me should be afforded to people who fit the criteria of redneck homophobic SOB dictator-wanna-be. And so, I do not believe that Mr. Harper should have the right to be married (or to own a handgun either, but that is another issue entirely).

As a result, I think Mr. Harper's current marriage should be annulled, and I propose a free vote on the subject.

Provide a comment with your vote contained therein. Should Stephen Harper be allowed to be married in Canada?

(Know someone who might want to cast their vote? Send them this link.)
http://lovemyjared.blogspot.com/2005/12/free-vote-here.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i vote it be annulled