Wednesday, July 06, 2005

J's Weight and Stuff

J weighed 9 lbs 7 oz today! (He's still only in the 5th percentile for weight gain, but he's always been in that low end of things.) He saw his pedi. She has redeemed herself in my eyes, somewhat, so I think we'll continue to see her and see how things go. Mainly, it's just hard to find decent doctors who are accepting new patients.

I let his pedi know that his tongue tie was released, and she asked if it bled. It seems that was her hesitancy in releasing a tongue tie - she tries to avoid procedures that cause bleeding whenever possible. I still think it should have been released immediately, but that's just a disagreement on procedure, I suppose. (Though I'm still not impressed that she didn't tell us about it, but whatever.)

Then she reviewed his weight gain, length and head measurement. She told me he was still gaining as he always had - following the same line. I asked if there was anything I could do to improve things, and she said that J just happens to be small. He's in the 5th percentile for all three measurements, but she said that someone has to be at the low end and that's why the 5th percentile exists. Since neither H nor I are particularly large (well, I am, but that's just fat and not structure) it stands to reason that J would be on the small side also. So it seems he is perfectly normal, even though he is little. I suppose I can live with that. It's not as though he's in a higher percentile for length and head size and only the 5th percentile for weight; that would indicate a problem for sure. He's 5th percentile right across the board.

I feel better.

On another note, the pictures from Canadian Baby Photographers were really cute. They took a series of pictures with J in just his diaper, lying on the quilt my sister made for him on his tummy with his head kind of propped up on his arms - some with a ball cap on his head, some with a crocheted baby blanket over the top of his head, and some without props. Then they dressed him up with a little tiger striped sash and leaves in front of him and took some pictures of him with a little stuffed monkey so he looked like Tarzan. Then they took a few shots of him in the little red onesie and denim shorts I had picked out for him, including one with his little soft blue teddy bear that the office sent over when he was born. They were really good at positioning him and catching the picture at the right time. We get a free portrait out of this, and can then decide if we want any of the other shots. But I have a gut feeling they're really expensive, so we may just go with the free portrait only. We'll see what to do in a couple of weeks when they come to the house to review the shots with us. I am looking forward to seeing them.

Anyway, the photographer was using digital technology, so I got to see a few of the shots on his camera. They looked really, really cute! J was in a pretty good mood - until the end, when he started to cry and needed to be comforted.

We've been trying to get the little tyke to go to sleep a bit earlier so we can catch some zzzz's. He's in his bassinet now. I think I'll go to bed too, as I'm likely to be awoken in the wee small hours for a feed. Our logic is that, even if we're woken up for feeding/diaper changing in the early morning hours, we still get in more sleep if he goes to bed earlier on. If he's in bed by 10:00 and then wakes up at 2:00 and 6:00 or something like that, we can still fit in 7 hours of sleep (giving ourselves an hour for changing and feeding from 2:00 to 3:00), whereas if he stays up until midnight or 1:00 and doesn't wake until 6:00 for feeding and changing, we get in less sleep even though it's uninterrupted. I'd rather encourage J to sleep earlier and catch that extra hour or two ourselves.

No comments: