Friday, July 29, 2005

J's Hearing Test

J's appointment to get his hearing test is on August 8 at 1:00 p.m. at the hospital. I think I'll have to go and scope it out ahead of time to make sure I can actually find the room on the day of the appointment.

Apparently, we need to keep our little guy sleep deprived for a period of time before the appointment (including in the car ride over - I'll need someone to go with me to meet that end, since he always falls asleep in the car). That should be a joy to manage - he gets so cranky when he's tired, and it's hard to handle him then.

When we get there, they will put us into a dim room where I can nurse him/rock him, etc. Once he is asleep, they will attach little probes to his head while he sleeps and monitor his brain activity to see how he reacts to various sounds. (It's a sleep deprived EEG? I think that's what they called it, anyway.)

He is probably just fine, but it will be good to have it all settled and to know for certain one way or the other.

J will be 4 months old on August 7. Wow! I can't believe he's already almost 4 months old. Where does the time go?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia had to have the same hearing test when she was about 2 months old. In our hospitals they perform a newborn hearing test before you leave the hospital, and she failed. So they booked us an appointment for the same probe that you mention you're booked for with Jared.

I was a bit nervous, but she ended up doing just fine. They felt she may have had some fluid in her ears the first time around.

Keep us posted on the results - we'll be thinking of the little guy.

By the way, his recent pictures are soooooo cute!

Momma Trish said...

Thanks Holly. I hope Jared will have get some good results. We're pretty scared about the whole thing, but it could be any number of things. Trying not to borrow trouble, but it's hard not to worry.

Glad to see you reading!

T