Thursday, October 09, 2008

Unbreak my leg

I have been healed. Made whole. Reborn. Well ... maybe not that so much, but ...

The orthopedic surgeon said what was broken has now been made whole. And the orthopedic surgeon said "Arise and walk". And yea, I arose. And took those first steps. And would have fallen flat on my face had my husband and three nurses not rushed to my side to provide support.

And the nurses saw that it was not good. And the nurses handed me the crutches and provided the updated demonstration on their proper usage. And I walked out of the hospital. With grace and dignity. Sort of.

But at least I did not fall down. And it was good.

**********


The knee is substantially healed, and I am allowed to weight bear once more. But the knee buckles when I walk, so I still have to use the crutches to provide some stability. Soon, I will be able to downgrade to a cane. And then, I will be able to walk unassisted. If they don't have to open the knee back up in another six weeks or so to remove some of the glue and hardware that has become problematic and has resulted in a swollen lump on the side of the knee which impedes its movement.

For now, I work on learning to walk again. And I work on catching up on school. And I am tired and grumpy, so I work on my attitude too.

These are the things that need work.
This list is subject to change without notice.

5 comments:

Captain Dumbass said...

I think you deserve some attitude.

Giving it, not taking it.

Captain Dumbass said...

I think you deserve some attitude.

Giving it, not taking it.

Momma Trish said...

Thanks, sir. I don't enjoy my bad attitude, though, so I'm doing my best to shake it. All in good time!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I didn't even know your leg was being worked on or whatever...I'm sorry that is hard...good news about walking again! :) I love your play on words! :)

Momma Trish said...

Oh yeah. I broke the knee about 6 weeks ago now, and it had to be surgically set. It's still really stiff and painful, and it buckles when I walk. I expect it to improve in time. Just takes awhile to recover.