Sunday, October 12, 2008

Don't be afraid of the dark

The irony of this situation has not escaped my attention.

**********

H: Goodnight, J.

J: I'm scared.

H: What are you scared of?

J: There's a monster in the closet.

H: There's no monster in the closet. Look. (opens closet door)


J: But there's a scary lion. And a scary noise.

H: There's no scary lion and no scary noise.

J: But ...

H: Mommy and Daddy would never ask you to stay in a room with something scary in it, J.


J: But I need you.

H: But Mommy and N need me too. I've done everything you've asked me to. I read your stories, and I snuggled you, and I gave you your water. And now Mommy and N need me. You need to go to sleep.

J: But I want you.

H: Here. (Hands J the toy that J picked out all by himself at the store and insists on keeping in his room every single night) Two-headed dragon will protect you.

J: Two-headed dragon will eat the scary people?

H: Yes. There is nothing scary in the room, but if there were, two-headed dragon would eat it.


**********

Yes. That's right. There is nothing scary in the room. Except for ...


... J's staunch overnight protector. Which even scares the crap out of me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

awwwww lol...yep thats kinda scarey

steenky bee said...

Oh, he pulled the "I need you, I want you" did he? I am defenseless against this. I'm glad the dragon will protect him. He's got you wrapped!

Momma Trish said...

Georgie - Yup. Scary!

Steenky - I don't disagree. He's really got us wrapped around his wee finger. *shrug*

Chen - Randomly spamming my blog with an unrelated and ridiculously long diatribe about Communist China does not endear you to me in the slightest. Also, this in no way makes me care about your cause. I didn't even read it.

Unknown said...

Trish TY for the spam comment removal technique...i am exhausted tonight maybe in the mornin I will get it deleted-You rock chica!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I thought that WAS the scary monster...that is hilarious what kids think and do...that toy is creepy! lol!

Momma Trish said...

No prob, Georgie. Glad to help. Still can't believe someone tried to hijack all our blogs that way. What a jerk! Looks like he just went into the comment form on everyone's most recent post and pasted a post in (CTRL+V, over and over). He's clearly insane, and I'm glad he lives in Taiwan so we don't have to worry about it.

Shelle - That toy looks scarier than anything I could imagine. But apparently, it doesn't scare J. Only imaginary stuff weirds him out!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I need to get ME one of those "staunch overnight protectors." (Though the scariest thing in my closet is lots and lots of laundry. Does the staunch overnight protector do lots and lots of laundry?)

Momma Trish said...

Mrs Mouthy - I wish the staunch overnight protector did laundry! If he did, I might still have full use of my knee, which I broke while doing lots and lots of laundry. ;)

But I understand he does keep the room safe for J. And for that, we are eternally grateful.