Friday, October 17, 2008

It's gonna be a bright sunshiny flipping day

Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.
- Johnny Nash

People say don't ever look behind.
Happiness is just a state of mind.
- Triumph

Piss off, both of you! What do you know?
- Momma Trish


**********

The good thing about having a child who doesn't eat is that when his growth becomes severely stunted, you get to spend a lot less on Halloween costumes.

Yes, the 3-1/2 year old J, weighing in at 26 lbs, still fits the same size 18-24 months costume that he wore last year. He is on an appetite stimulant and iron supplements to try and get him motivated to eat and put some weight on the kid. The doctor continues to feel that J's small stature and failure to gain any weight whatsoever are cause for concern, and he is apparently completely unmoved by my "high cost of Halloween costumes" argument. Which is unfortunate, 'cause it's all I've got.

Meanwhile, young N who is about to be 5 months old weighs a whopping 14 lbs 9 oz. N wears a sleeper sized "Newborn 17-22 lbs". Which begs the question, what kind of scary growth hormone ingested newborn would that be? 'Cause ... Ow! Anyway, the doctor has no concerns about N and suggests we start him on cereal and establish a set bedtime with corresponding routine. He doesn't want us to have one child with eating problems and a second with sleep problems. Good point, actually. And it's just exactly the kind of thing that would happen to us. We will follow the directions provided.

**********

Dear Student Advisor,

At the beginning of the term I broke my knee and required surgery. The resultant painkillers make me very groggy, and I have been unable to focus on my readings and have fallen behind in the course as a result. In addition, my birth mother has been diagnosed with inoperable metastatic pancreatic cancer and is receiving chemotherapy treatments. Further, in September we were compelled to put down our cherished pet of 17 years. We have a teething baby and a 3-year old with an eating disorder that has raised serious concerns. Finally earlier this week, our family fled from the property when a large fire broke out on our street, claiming the homes of several of our neighbours; they will require some neighbourhood support as they try to rebuild their lives, and we would like to support them in any way that we can.

In light of the foregoing recent raining down of hellfire and brimstone on all of our lives, would you perchance see fit to grant me a one week extension on my third assignment?

Regards,
Momma T

**********

When does this year end, again? Seriously! 2008 is cordially invited to bite me.

(I am mostly being facetious here. And I recognize that 2008 has had its great moments too. Like the healthy birth of N, which was nothing short of a miracle. But it is a little ridiculous, no?)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

2009 will be here before we know it...the older my beans get the faster a year goes by...I dont want them to grow up! ;-)

The Stiletto Mom said...

I had one of those years. The day my mother died was followed by 364 days of pure hell in the form of housing trouble, losing job, postponing wedding due to housing trouble and losing job...it was 15 years ago and I still wince every time I think of that year. We planned a celebration with all of our friends on the 365th day, drank martini's and toasted the end of it because it seemed if we toasted it, maybe it wouldn't have the nerve to be so rude as to come back again...I've never been so happy to see a year go. Good thoughts to you, it's all so trying but eventually the dark cloud following you around will find someone else to pick on!!!

steenky bee said...

I'm sending you good thoughts. I hope it ends soon. (Gawd. That sounded horrible. I meant that in a good way, really) Of all three of the quotes, I liked yours the best. you ought to submit that to Quotations.com or at the very least make a bumper sticker out of it.

Momma Trish said...

Georgie - I know what you mean. I cry every time I have to fold up clothes they've outgrown.

Stiletto Mom - I hope the dark cloud leaves soon. Really, it's not all that bad. But it is starting to wear a bit, the whole one thing after another routine.

Steenky - Thanks! You know, I try to find the humour in these things and get it across in my posts. Sometimes, I fail at it a bit. Really, you just have to laugh. 'Cause what else is a person to do?