Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Permanence of Objects

J loves to play. He will sit up or, as he prefers, will roll around and periodically try to crawl. He sure is not one to stay still.

Today, we were playing with his "Thomas the Tank Engine" choo-choo train, with the big blocks on it. I gave him a few blocks to play with, then pushed the train around him in a circle as he sat up, waving his blocks about; I sang "The Wheels On The Bus", and he happily bounced up and down on his little ankles. When he tired of sitting, he laid down and rolled over to his "Roll-A-Rounds" dinosaur. He can't put the balls in the holes yet, but he had fun opening and closing the dinosaur's mouth and watching the lights and listening to the music that would play when I would put a ball in a hole for him.

He doesn't quite get the concept of "permanence of objects" yet. If I covered the little train with a blanket, he wouldn't try to move the blanket off and get to the train; he'd just try to find something new to play with. He seemed quite surprised by the presence of the train every time I would remove the blanket, and he'd gravitate to it again. We'll have to work on that one some more. I'm sure he'll figure it out soon.

He sleeps across my lap just now. I will put him in his crib for naptime, and get dinner going. Tonight, we are having curry chicken penne pasta. J may enjoy that. He enjoyed his first taste of garlic bread last night, but he is still displaying a tremendous preference for cereal with apple sauce. He doesn't like cottage cheese, any meats, or anything else with protein in it. I still can't get him to drink from a bottle or a cup. I'll try some diluted juice in his cup tonight instead of just plain water and see if that tempts him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know what he thinks of the curry!