Monday, January 30, 2006

Laundry 101

When a baby vomits all over his bib, under no circumstances should you fold the bib in half and put it in the laundry basket with the expectation that you will be washing clothes within the hour anyway and you will deal with it then. You are, after all, a mom now. And you are extremely busy. So you should always take care to rinse the vomit out of the bib immediately. Otherwise, you may find a nasty surprise three days later when you actually have an opportunity to do a load of non-diaper-related laundry and the bib vanished from your thoughts as soon as it hit that laundry basket.

In case you were wondering, mold spreads through a basket of laundry at a rather alarming pace. It also stains in a range of colors from hot pink to black. Banana is especially unpleasant. Any tips for getting mold stains out of clothing would be appreciated.

Leave nothing to chance. Always rinse the puke out immediately. I shall endeavour to remember this hot tip for the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I had this problem a while back and i am trying to remember what worked best.

Don't put it in the dryer, heat will set the stain.

Direct sunlight is good.

You can try rubbing it with lemon juice and salt.

Soaking it in strong vinegar might help too.

Momma Trish said...

I haven't put anything in the dryer. I was nervous about setting the stain. I'll rub the clothes with some lemon juice and salt and put it out on the deck today; hopefully, that will help. If not, I will move on to the vinegar.

Thanks for the tips. I was about to give up in despair and try the DD7, which I know will work but which will also likely take the dye out of the clothes. I'd rather have white blotches than mold blotches, you know?

Ick!