Tuesday, January 24, 2006

J and the doctor

J's doctor's appointment went well. He appears to have iron deficiency anemia, just like his mommy. Iron supplements have been prescribed. We will go back in a month for repeat bloodwork and an update on his weight.

Here is a sample conversation from the appointment:

Doc: So, how's the formula going?

Me: Well, he won't take it. He won't take anything out of a bottle or a cup; not even breastmilk.

Doc: Have you tried having someone else give it to him?

Me: Yes, both my husband and my parents have tried.

Doc: Have you tried leaving the house for this?

Me: Yes. But it hasn't worked. I've been mixing it into his cereal instead of water, so he's getting it that way. But he absolutely will not take a bottle or a cup.

Doc: Well, you have to keep trying. Eventually, he'll take it. He's got to learn that he won't get what he wants just by being all stubborn. Don't put him to the breast.

Me: Well, that's a problem too. Ever since I started putting formula in his cereal, he's lost most of his interest in breastfeeding. He doesn't want to drink anything at all.

Doc: He's got quite the little personality, doesn't he?!


J also has higher than average thyroid levels. Nothing to be overly concerned with; just something to keep an eye on.

J had a nice nap this afternoon. He fell asleep in his swing, and just sort of flopped forward. It was so cute! Here are some pictures of him.



When he awoke, I changed his diaper. He peed all over the change table. I put him in a new, pee free, outfit, then placed him in his crib to play while I cleaned up the old diaper. When I went back to get him, he was lying on his back, sideways, with his feet sticking out the crib slats. He had one soother in his mouth, and he was holding two other soothers, one in each hand, and banging them together like some sort of percussion instrument, grinning away.

I love my baby!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I wanted to respond to your comment. You might be right about that elevation thing or other stuff. I tend to sleep better on the couch. The armrests are higher and maybe that does the trick. I will probably have to sleep there from now on. Man this sucks!

Mary said...

Now on your post...Good to hear that J appears to be much happier these days. He sure likes his plastic nipples! Good for him! Keep up the good work, supermom!

Momma Trish said...

He does like his soothers; but he likes no other plastic nipples. He won't take anything from a bottle. Frustrating!!