Wednesday, January 18, 2006

But not in my province

I am frustrated. I only need one course to complete my Level 1. It only gets offered once a year. No foundation level courses are ever run in summer, except for Communications, which I have already taken. You need many foundation courses as prerequisites to the advanced courses. If I want to take my one remaining Level 1 course in summer, I have to split it into two courses in concurrent studies and pay extra money for that privilege.

Today, I received a ray of hope. It seems that all of the foundation level courses are being run through the summer months as condensed courses. Each will take one month to complete, and a Saturday exam will follow. A pretty intense study routine would be required, but I think I could do it. If I took Economics as a condensed course offering, I'd get done sooner and I wouldn't have to pay the extra fees. Problem solved, right?

Wrong. The condensed course offerings are available to students in BC, but not here in our province. And I am getting a little bit jaded with my provincial association. As I go through my program of study, it becomes increasingly apparent that we are penalized here in a number of ways.

In other provinces, students are permitted to enroll in more than one course per term. They are permitted to enroll in a course with a prerequisite before obtaining confirmation of a passing grade in the prerequisite course; it is assumed that they will pass the course if they qualify to write the exam. Other provinces have in-class lectures. And they seem to receive extensions on assignments and quizzes with considerable ease. Now I find that they have a better course timetable too.

But here I am, paying the same amount for fewer resources. There is no consistency among the provinces. And I feel rather gypped and unfairly penalized.

Why am I being penalized for living in this province??

No comments: