Thursday, January 05, 2006

For Rigmor

Well, you asked. How does one put links in a Blogspot account? Here's how I did it.

  1. In "Settings" "Formatting", select "Yes" under "Show Link Field".
  2. In "Settings" "Archiving", select "Yes" under "Enable Post Pages".
  3. Decide where you want the links to show in your posts. Go into your template and, in the appropriate spot, insert the following (put in the angle brackets and get rid of the quotes, obviously):

    (In angle brackets) "BlogItemUrl"
    Filed under: (In angle brackets) "$BlogItemUrl$"
    (In angle brackets) "/BlogItemUrl"

    (Note: In my template, this is just after "posted by")

  4. Get a del.icio.us account. (Install the buttons onto your toolbar for ease of use.)
  5. Create a menu in your sidebar for "Filed under", where you will list your categories and link them to their respective del.icio.us pages.
Now, whenever you post and you want your post to be in a category, you will have to do the following:

  1. Put the html link and name of the category in the "Link" field in your "Create post" screen.
  2. Once your post has published, click on the "permanent link" (on mine, it's the time posted) that gets you into the post page.
  3. On the buttons on the del.icio.us toolbar that you installed, choose "post to del.icio.us". Then complete the screen that appears, and choose "save".
See? Rather a headache, isn't it? But at least it gives you the categories you were after! (Assuming I didn't leave anything out...I hope I didn't.)

Best of luck with it, anyway. If you need anything else, let me know.

1 comment:

Rigmor said...

Marvellous!

I will definatley have a go at this! (And it is quite close to how I was thinking of solving the issue too). As far as I can see, it makes sense and I don't think you left something out.

Really. Thank you very much!