Sunday, June 26, 2005

Baby-free Outing

Tonight, H and I went to see a musical. It was really well done. H's brother, C, was in it, as was C's girlfriend, L. We thought they were both brilliant. It was really nice to get out of the house together without the baby. It's the first time since J's birth that I've been further than the Mac's store without him. I love J so much, but every so often, you just need time with the grown-ups, you know?

My parents came over around 6:30 to look after J for us. He had done some major cluster-feeding today, and was eating from 4:00 until 5:30, and then again from 6:00 until 6:30. We were rather nervous that schedule would continue in our absence, so we made sure there were two bottles in the fridge, just in case. One had 4 oz, and the other had 5 oz. We phoned in intermission and after the show to see how J was doing. He'd been lulled to sleep, and was quite peaceful.

We got home around 11:30. J had slept across my mother's lap the entire time we were gone. He fussed a little bit, but settled quickly for them. He didn't even wake up for food. We woke him when we got home and gave him his 4 oz bottle. And I did some pumping. J's cluster feeds have really done the trick. I had my doubts as to whether my body really would produce enough milk to satisfy his monstrous appetite. But I was able to pump a good 5 oz, and still had milk to spare. I had to stop because the bottle was full. So I have to start using the 9 oz bottles now instead of the 4 oz ones, as I'm producing more milk now. What a little piggy I have here! Anyway, we'll give him the 5 oz bottle at his next feed, probably in the wee small hours. He'll be getting to bed shortly. He was sleeping in my arms, but is starting to cry now. Good time to change him into his sleeper.

I can't get over it - the one night he's not all colicky, we miss it! Oh well; his colic has been steadily improving over time. Perhaps we've about seen the end of it now.

***********
On a special note, J got a new onesie today. His is black with silver sparkly letters. (They were out of the matching hat, though, so he was spared that much.)

No comments: