Monday, October 16, 2006

Urgent. Urgent. Emergency

Well, so much for the thought that I'd caught the bladder infection in time.

Last night around 11:00, we had to get someone to come and look after J for us while H drove me to Emergency. I was in so much pain I couldn't get up off the floor. It was unbelievable how much my lower back hurt. It radiated around to the front, and my abdomen was extremely tender. I was in so much pain, I was throwing up from it. I never thought anything would hurt more than labour. But this honestly did. I couldn't believe the amount of pain I was experiencing.

I couldn't drive, and I didn't want to wake J. I tried to just get someone to drive me to the hospital so H could stay home with J. But my dad (bless him) wouldn't hear of it, and he looked after J for us while H took me to Emerg.

Just getting me into the car was an adventure. I couldn't stand up straight, and I walked into Emergency bent double at the waist. The triage nurse got me a wheelchair and a heating pad, and things started to improve. H gave her my medical history; I was busy vomitting. We jumped the queue for priority sequence, and I was looked after pretty quick.

I have a kidney infection.

Take the new antibiotics. Drink lots. Stay off work for two days and rest (I particularly hate that direction, but will comply). Take heavy duty pain pills for the next two days (they'll make you sleep; really, don't go into work). I got a shot of morphine and gravol while we waited for my results and, upon being discharged, I was even able to walk out of the hospital, standing erect and without puking.

I'm glad it's just a kidney infection. I thought I was dying.

So I will be home resting for the next two days. I certainly don't want to play around with something like this. I don't want it to get worse (though my little brain can't quite wrap itself around that concept).

The good thing about the trip into Emergency is that I got a doctor's note for work. So I can feel justified about staying home. The bad news? I have deadlines at the office, and I need to be there!! I'll have to get some stuff reassigned so no deadlines are missed.

Took my pain medication, and I'm going back to bed now. The pain is returning, so I guess sitting up is not okay.

No comments: