Friday, October 13, 2006

Got my coin

It was a lovely awards luncheon. And my voice is almost entirely back to normal now, so I was able to converse with the folks at my table. I am happy about that. They were all very nice, and it was a pleasant afternoon. I was so glad to be able to attend. Many award winners were unable to attend the awards luncheon. What a shame!

Today, I was happy to learn that the 78% I got in my last course will not disqualify me from Top 10 New Member status when I graduate. Someday. In the very distant future. Apparently, it's the PACE level that really impacts whether I can get that particular honor. I have a long way to go to even reach the PACE level. I feel discouraged. I wish I could finish faster. Faster, and for less money. But I can't.

Those who work with me are happy that I received a scholarship. I am happy too, of course. But I am also tired of being a responsible adult. I want to revert back to childhood and be reckless and silly for a while.

The responsible thing to do with the scholarship money is to use it to pay off some of the debt I incurred in registering for this latest course. I am aware of this. And it is what the money is designed for. To do anything else would be pure foolishness. So that is what will happen to my cheque. But really, I just want to go shopping!

H and I have struck a deal. We need to keep a handle on our finances; it's too easy for us to overspend, and we do it far too frequently. And we really do need the money to pay for school. So I will use any scholarship money I receive to pay for my courses. But once I have my designation and my pay increases accordingly, I will be given back an amount equal to the scholarship money I have earned throughout school. (The accountant in me would like you to know that at that time I will be receiving the future value of the present amount invested at market rate.) And then, I will get to go shopping and just blow it all foolishly.

Doesn't that sound like fun?

Yes!

Do you think I'll do it?

No.

I am a responsible adult. I can be nothing else. So while I may take the money, go shopping, and spend it all, I am sure that I will buy extremely practical items that our entire household will get considerable use of. It's just who I am. And I will have many, many, many years to contemplate what those items will be, as I work towards my designation. And so all of the spontaneous joy that should come with a windfall is gone!

*sigh*

(Still, I can't be too broken up about it. Our debtload is $750 lighter now. Doesn't make much of a dent in the load, but it's still free money. And I worked hard to get it, and am really pleased that I got an award. So ... Woot!)

Cheques are always good. Unless you're the one writing them. Then, they suck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should pay the cost of one course out of your scholarship money and use the rest for something nice for yourself.

That's what I would do.