Thursday, August 28, 2008

Money, money, money

The bills pour in. I hate bills. But they are usually the only thing in my mailbox. Bills and flyers.

The car broke down this week. It's an expensive repair job. And we've had a number of other expenses crop up lately. School registration and accommodation expenses spring readily to mind, but there are others. We're behind in payments. And while I'm on mat leave, our income is considerably reduced.

More pressing concerns exist. Family illnesses. The inevitable demise of the cat I have had for 17 years. Concerns surrounding J's poor eating. Time constraints. Weight issues. Not to mention ...

And yet, all other thoughts go on the backburner and my throat tightens every time I open my mailbox.

My mailbox is my nemesis.

"Wouldn't it be great to live in a world with no money", thinks the accountant. Illogically. Knowing that such a world is an impossibility and if one existed her skillset would be completely unnecessary. Knowing that without competitive greed, mankind's sole motivator would be survival. Such motivation results in desperation. Reversion to basic instincts. Desperate people do desperate things. I shudder at the thought.

I am wrong. Money is not the root of all evil. The root of all evil is quite clear. The root of all evil is my mailbox. It must be destroyed. And I must destroy it.

Or maybe I just need more sleep and some happy pills. Who can tell.

2 comments:

anymommy said...

Ah, the age old blaming of the messenger. At least you are focusing on the box and not the mailperson.

Momma Trish said...

Oh, she's got a hand in it too. She misdirects our mail. Both incoming and outgoing.

Perhaps that is why I only ever get bills.