Friday, February 08, 2008

Because the pregnancy needed more drama

As most of my readers will know, I've been on bedrest since early November for bleeding in the pregnancy. I've had severe nausea and vomiting, which has resulted in weight loss and dehydration. I've continued to spot throughout the pregnancy. There seem to be some placental issues that are causing this. Just like when I was pregnant with J, I have to stay still. It's tougher this time, because it's for a longer period. It's also tougher because I have J and have a harder time staying still. But I do my best.

I keep having to go to the hospital. Every episode of bleeding or spotting, and off we go. We spend a good portion of time at the hospital these days.

I have now developed kidney stones, just to add to the situation. Kidney stones and kidney infections can bring on early labour. I was already at high risk for that before. Age, past pregnancy, and complications to date had already made a preterm baby fairly likely. So I've now received steroid shots to mature Baby's lungs, just in case.

Kidney stones hurt. And they can take a long time to pass. We can't really do a lot about it until after Baby is born. So I'm just drinking a lot of water and trying to flush them out of the system on my own. I spent last weekend in the hospital, getting rehydrated and trying to flush them. They let me go home once the pain had passed. But it returned in a different spot after I'd gotten home. There's not much that I can take for pain relief, because I'm pregnant. And it really hurts.

But at least it doesn't hurt in my back any longer. And it's no longer causing vomiting, so that's good. It's just causing some infection and a lot of pain.

I really wish these stones would pass so I could get on with the day-to-day chore of lying still, without so much pain.

Oh, the pain!!

No comments: