Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A J never sleeps

J has decided that he wants cuddles before bed. He's suddenly developed a fear of the dark, and he doesn't like being left alone for bedtime.

J doesn't enjoy bedtime. He argues about it. He delays it. He demands cuddles and a sippy-cup of milk. J hasn't had a sippy-cup in many months, but we've had to dig this old relic up once more for his new night-time ritual. Usually, he wakes up several times a night and wants cuddles.

Last night was particularly dreadful.

I'd spent the weekend at the hospital. Everything is pretty well fine, but I've added kidney stone to the list of pregnancy problems, and I needed to spend some time at the RAH. It was not a great weekend. But they released me Sunday afternoon and let me come home. I'm trying to stay hydrated and rested, and hoping to manage this at home. But if the nights are like last night, ... well ...

J awoke.

"I wanna cuddle for a little bit"
"Upp-ie!"
"I wanna cuddle!"
"I WANNNNNNAAAA CUUUUDDLLLE FOR A LITTTTTLE BIIIIITTTTT!!!!"

Minutes pass ...

[Sing-song]
"Soccer ball, soccer ball
Soccer ball, soccer ball
Soccer ball, soccer ball"

Minutes pass ...

"Froggie is stinky. Poopie Froggie? It's ok, Froggie. I'll change your bum."

Narration of the diaper change being performed on J's stuffed Froggie ensues ... followed by a diaper change on Cow ... and one on Big Bad Wolf, who was presumably so poopie that he needed toilet paper ...

Minutes pass ...

"Mommy, can you turn on Treehouse?"
"Shrek the Third?"
"Treehouse?"

Minutes pass ... Mommy gets up for her ritual 3:00 a.m. hurl ...

"Mommy's vomiting in the big potty. She's vomiting in the big potty"

Followed by narration ...

"She vomits ... again ... and again ... and again ... and again ..."

Minutes pass ... J falls out of bed ... We put him back in bed ...

"Can you cover me up, Mommy?"

Mommy obliges. Minutes pass ...

"Can you cover me up, Mommy?"

Daddy responds ...

"No! Mommy!! Can you cover me up, Mommy? I WANT MOMMY!!!"

An argument erupts over whether or not Daddy is as good a cover-upper as Mommy ...

Eventually, J went back to sleep. I am tired. But I must stay up and drink lots and lots of water. There are still kidney stones to flush out of my system. Fun for the whole family!

No comments: